Interested in showcasing your talent in downtown Blacksburg? Come on out and give it a try. Some call it busking, but in Blacksburg we call it Sidewalk Stage, where downtown public spaces offer a welcoming backdrop for creative expression, and the cultural contribution and diversity of entertainment is valued.
Sidewalk Stage Rules
- Sidewalk Stage is permitted on town-owned public property in the downtown area. This includes Market Square Park when no other event is taking place. Performance on private or Virginia Tech property requires permission from the property owner. This map shows the town/Virginia Tech boundary downtown.
- Performance times are between 9 a.m. – 10 p.m., any day of the week, all year long.
- Spaces are first come, first served, and performances may not exceed two hours.
- When multiple performances are taking place, please be sure to set up at least 40 feet away from the other performer(s).
- Participants are asked to be careful not to block or impede pedestrian or vehicular traffic, sidewalks, doorways, or other access areas.
- Performances may not take place at locations designated or reserved for a community event unless permitted to do so by the event organizer.(Ex., downtown festivals, Friday night concerts on the lawn, Farmers Market Days, etc.).
- Merchandise sales are not be permitted, but donations may be accepted.
- Participants must not consume or be under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances while performing.
- Participants must comply with all federal, state, and local laws when performing within the town, including the town’s noise ordinance.
- Participants must maintain a neat and clean appearance and must wear shirt and shoes at all times while performing.
Any amplifier must be used at low volume and cannot be plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet or more from where it is being used.